KATH Begins NHIA’s Free Dialysis Policy - Onlinetimesgh

KATH Begins NHIA’s Free Dialysis Policy

The Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) has started implementing the National Health Insurance Authority’s (NHIA) policy of covering dialysis costs for kidney patients under 18 and over 60 years old.

Eight patients have already benefited from this initiative, and the hospital management has confirmed that those who initially paid for the services will receive refunds. Previously, only 20% of patients with end-stage renal disease could afford the twice-weekly dialysis sessions. With the NHIA’s intervention, the remaining 80% are now expected to access the necessary treatment.

Chief Executive Officer of the NHIA, Dr. Da-Costa Aboagye, visited the hospital to monitor the policy’s implementation. He assured that the government would ensure its effective rollout and stated that the NHIA will reimburse the cost of dialysis once hospitals submit their claims.

“We are just monitoring, so today we are in the Ashanti Region, just to see how it’s being implemented. As I mentioned before, the CEOs were part of this meeting, and we made a collective decision based on the resources available. The National Health Insurance Authority has the funds ready, and we will reimburse the hospitals once the claims are submitted,” Dr. Aboagye said.

He also highlighted that the government has a comprehensive plan for chronic diseases, including kidney disease. “The government has a comprehensive plan not only for kidney diseases but also for chronic diseases. I’m confident that very soon, it will be unveiled as part of the government’s overall agenda.”

The hospital’s Deputy Medical Director, Dr. Yaw Opare Larbi, confirmed the implementation and assured that patients who paid for dialysis treatment starting from June 1 will be refunded.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *